So, last night’s reading was a pretty intense reading for me. It starts off with “arm yourself with the same way of thinking”–which made my mind jump to another verse in Philippians 2:5 that says “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus…” And then verses 6-11 describe that attitude which includes:
- “Did not consider equality with God something to be grasped” — unlike Adam & Eve in the Garden (Genesis 3).
- “But made Himself NOTHING” — Just as we should: John 3:30, “He (Jesus) must increase, but I must decrease.”
- “Taking the form of a SERVANT” — Matthew 20:26-68, “But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man (Jesus) came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- “He humbled Himself by becoming obedient” — Obedience isn’t always easy. It does require us to humble ourselves, to completely take our wants & desires off the table, so that our minds are solely on the things of God.
- “To the point of death, even death on a cross” — Are we willing?