Debrief #1: Isaiah 26:8
The verse for Passion 2010 was Isaiah 26:8. This verse says:
“Yes, Lord, walking in the way of your truth, we eagerly wait for you, for your name and renown are the desires of our souls.”
This verse truly packs a punch. So let’s unload it.
1. “Yes Lord” should be our answer to anything He calls us to.
2. “walking…we wait” shows that is waiting is while we are walking. We are not just sitting and waiting for God to move, but pursuing Him and His Word and His will upon our lives, and as we pursue we cannot help but take the things we learn and ACT upon it. We are waiting for Christ to show up and show out (see #4), but the only way of that happening soon, is if we GO out and live for Him, walking…waiting…watching for His Kingdom to fall. This will happen when “the gospel of the kingdom is preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations” (Matthew 24:14)
3. “the way of your truth” is a double wammy. Jesus is both called the way & the truth (John 14:6). In that same verse, He also is called ‘the life’. So we aren’t just walking down the same path everyone else is walking down. We’re walking through the gate (Jesus), which is narrow & the way (Jesus), which is hard ( John 7:14). And through this walking we are exchanging the lie we’ve been fed by this world & it’s ruler (sin) for the truth (unlike the world–see Romans 1:25); and this truth now becomes our life, our habits, our everything. It engulfs us, both with joy & happiness, which are found in living solely for our Creator.
4. “eagerly” is denoting that as we are walking-waiting with expectations. We aren’t just living knowing God is going to move, we are putting it into perspective that He is going to SHOW UP & SHOW OUT in our daily lives and in our generation and ultimately in our world. He is going to make His name known!! That is why we are SO eager for this. Because making His Name known means bringing “I AM” into a world full of “i am nots”. Bringing peace into war. Bringing light into darkness. It means “His Kingdom Come” as Jesus prayed and showed us to pray by. It means no more worry, no more tears, no more cares, no more fears. That is exciting!! So why aren’t we living like we are excited?!
5a. “your name” is what we proclaim. That is who we are making famous among the peoples by our walking-waiting. See the end of #4 for more info on just who that is we are making known.
5b. “renown” means “widespread & high repute; fame”.
6. “the desires of our souls”
* THE–not some of our desires; not a few of them. THE. These desires–YOUR name, YOUR renown–are ALL we are living for!
* DESIRES–Psalm 37:4 says, “Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” When you are walking & waiting eagerly for GOD, when you are delighting yourself in the LORD, your desires [should] change to HIS desires. And He will grant them. Not for you. But for HIS GLORY alone.
* OUR–let’s be unified in ONE thing (Ephesians 4:4-6); that is, Christ & Him crucified, how that changes us, and how EXCITED we are that HE is going to make HIS name known and that HE wants to use US.
* SOULS–the deepest part of us hungers and thirsts for GOD to be known in our world and for HIS glory & fame to be spread among ALL the earth.